perfect soup for the fall
1 tsp. olive oil
1 chicken breast (or 3 tenderloins)
1 large onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 stalked celery (including the leaves), chopped
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp red or black pepper
1 tsp salt
5 cups chicken broth
2 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
2 crisp apples, chopped in small chunks
1/2 cup rice*
plain greek yogurt for garnish
1. Place oil in sauce pan and saute onions and celery for about 3 minutes then add the curry, ginger, salt, and pepper.
2. After onions and celery are soft, add the minced garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
3. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, and rice. Bring to boil, then simmer for 20 minutes until rice is tender.
4. Add apples and simmer for 8 minutes.
5. Serve with a dollop of plain greek yogurt.
*if using brown rice, precook it then add later and decrease the water by one cup and the first simmer time by half.
adapted from a recipe found here