2 chicken breasts
14 oz (one package) extra firm tofu
1 medium onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
2 medium potatoes, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas
3+ tsp yellow curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp grated fresh ginger or 2 tsp powdered
1/2 tsp coriander (optional)
1/4 tsp allspice (optional)
1/4 garam marsala (optional)
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt (optional)
1. Heat empty pan over medium heat. If using chicken, cut into cubes and sauté over medium high heat in a tablespoon of oil, half of the ginger, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder, and garlic salt to taste until edges are slightly browned. Set aside in a small bowl.
If using tofu, drain and dry with a clean kitchen towel to get most of the moisture out. Cut in to half-inch 'cube-sticks'. Prepare 1/3 cup water + 1 teaspoon curry powder + 1/2 teaspoon cumin + half the ginger + 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, stir. Place tofu in dry pan and cook off more moisture until edges turn a light golden color. Give 1/3 cup prepared curry mixture a quick stir and pour over tofu and sauté until all the water is evaporated. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, turn heat up to medium high and sauté until thoroughly browned (about 10 more minutes). Set aside in a small bowl.
2. Add another tablespoon olive oil to the hot pan and sauté remaining ginger (if using fresh) and onions for about five minutes. Add carrots, sauté for a couple minutes, then potatoes, sauté, then peas and sprinkle with another 2-3 more teaspoons of curry powder, ginger (if using powdered), coriander, allspice, and Garam Marsala. Sauté for three or four more minutes.
3. Cover with just enough water to cover the veggies. Cover pan and simmer for 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Turn off heat. Stir in chicken or tofu, then coconut milk and yogurt. Cover and let sit for at least 20 minutes before serving (to allow the flavors meld). Serve over cooked jasmine or basmati rice and garnish with cilantro.
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 medium sweet potatoes
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Stir together spices and salt, then oil and vinegar.
2. Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1-inch wedges. Stir up the oil mixture again to combine oil and vinegar. Toss wedges with oil and spices, place on a cookie sheet and roast in middle of oven 15 - 20 minutes. Turn wedges over with a spatula and roast until tender and slightly golden, 10 - 15 minutes more.
adapted (and photo stolen) from the smitten kitchen.
1 can tuna
4 Tbsp mayo
1 Tbsp parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp sweet relish
a pinch of garlic powder
1/4 tsp curry powder
Serve on sandwiches, crackers, or with pilaf. Very simple.