so delicious: slightly crisp on the edges and chewy in the middle. oh, and good for dipping.
1 cup butter, softened but still cool
1 1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup peanut butter*
2 eggs (room temperature)
2 tsp vanilla
11/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1. Beat butter until light and fluffy - this is key.
2. Add sugars, blend well (2-3 minutes). Beat in peanut butter until fully incorporated. Add eggs and vanilla, blend until creamy.
3. Combine flours, soda, baking powder and salt in another bowl. Add a little more than half to the creamy mix and combine. Add the rest of the flour mix and combine.
4. Form rough balls, place on cookie sheet, crisscross tops with a fork and bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a rack (if you can wait that long).
* Contrary to popular belief you can make these cookies with natural peanut butter (like Adam's). Just make sure the peanut butter has been stirred really well and refrigerated at least overnight.
This dough also refrigerates and freezes great when formed into a cylinder, wrapped in some wax paper and sealed in a ziploc bag.