these are so quick you can make them on a whim, not to mention a special occasion!
1 cup flour
just less than 1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (one stick) butter, softened but still cool, cut into six pieces
2 eggs, room temp
1/3 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
1. preheat oven to 350°. line muffin tin with 12 baking cups.
2. whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl. mix eggs, sour cream (or yogurt or milk) and vanilla together in a small bowl with a fork.
3. add butter to dry ingredients and mix on low speed until the flour and butter clumps together and looks sandy and pebbly.
4. add about 3/4 of the wet ingredients and mix at low speed until incorporated, then beat at high speed until light and fluffy, about one minute. add the rest of the wet ingredients in a steady stream while mixing until thoroughly combined.
5. divide batter evenly among the cups using a spoon. bake for 20-24 minutes when inserted toothpick comes out clean. cool completely on a wire rack and frost.
* * frosting * *
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla
beat butter in a small bowl until light a fluffy. add 1 cup powdered sugar, salt, vanilla and 1 Tbsp milk. mix slowly as the sugar incorporates then faster as is becomes smooth. add remaining sugar and milk and repeat mixing. beat until smooth and creamy. add more sugar or more milk to achieve desired consistency (but no more than 1/4 sugar or 1 tsp milk).