This is the potato soup that you've been waiting for!
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 lbs Yukon Gold or other yellow-flesh potatoes, chopped
6 - 8 oz cream cheese (depending on how creamy you like it)
dash cayenne pepper
salt and ground pepper to taste
1. heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat until hot. saute onion and garlic until soft and slightly brown.
2. add potatoes and broth and boil potaoes until tender, 8 - 12 minutes.
3. transfer most of the potatoes and onions and all of the liquid into a blender, add cream cheese and process until chunky-smooth.
4. pour mix back into sauce pan, season with cayenne, salt and pepper and heat through until hot - do not boil. if it's too thick, thin with a little water or milk.
5. garnish with shredded sharp cheddar.
For extra goodness add sweet corn (heat frozen corn in microwave first) and/or cooked bacon crumbled up.