This is one of the best soups I have ever tasted and is great in the fall (or any season really).
What you'll need:
1 butternut squash (medium to large, about 3 1/2 lbs.)
3 Tbsp butter
2 large leeks (0r 3/4 onion)
4 tsp peeled minced ginger
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
11/2 tsp salt
1. Cut squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds and bake squash on lightly oiled cookie sheet (or non-oiled silpat) at 400 degrees Fahrenheit cut-side down until easy to pierce. About 1 hour.
2. Let it cool. Scrape out insides from skin and set aside.
3. In a soup pot over medium low heat melt butter.
4. Add leeks and minced ginger.
5. After leeches are tender add 4 cups of stock and squash.
6. Bring to a simmer
7. Let simmer for about 20 minutes and break up squash with a spoon.
8. Puree this mix.
9. Put the pureed mix back into original pot and bring to a simmer.
10. Add last 2 cups of stock and salt.
you may serve with toasted squash seeds
p.s. please do not try to make this soup with "leeches" as previously directed... the post-er does not know how to spell...